From rolling hills dotted with sagebrush, a piece of the South County was first claimed in 1867 as part of 8,838 acres secured under a U.S. land grant by Isaac J. Sparks, who named it El Pizmo Rancho. It was Sparks who first set out to develop the area, but when he sold half of the property 20 years later, it was D.W. Grover who took advantage of the California land rush and began in earnest to try to transform sagebrush into stagecoaches.
It was D.W. (as in Dwight William) Grover, legend goes, who first recognized the potential of the area that is now Grover Beach. On August 1, 1887, he filed plans at the San Luis Obispo County Court House and founded what would become the City of Grover City.
For more information visit: